First, you may be asking what a Tri-Tip Steak is? Well, it gets its name from the shape. It is a triangular cut of beef that comes from the bottom sirloin of the hindquarter of a cow.
Everyone loves a good grilled steak, and a Tri-Tip steak allows you to please a lot of different flavor requests. Why, because of its shape, the tri-tip will have different levels of “Doneness” in the same piece of steak.
So, at your next party, make sure you add this to your
menu, you will thank me for it.
Tri-tip is also normally a less expensive cut of beef but it is tender and has a nice rich beefy flavor. I have found that this is carried in most local grocery stores. If not, talk with your local butcher and they can easily get one.
Quick history of a Tri-Tip. This cut first became popular in California in the 1950’s. It is also known as “California’s Cut” or “Santa Maria Steak.” Therefore, it is not surprising that it has become a staple to many BBQs in California.
The seasonings that we are using give a good balance of Salt Pepper and Garlic to bring out the Beef flavors of the Tri-Tip Steak. We are going to be smoking a Tri-Tip Steak on the Recteq 1250 Pellet Smoker until we reach an internal temperature of 130°. Then we will be removing it from the smoker and searing it with a Blow Torch.
We hope that you watch these videos and that it helps you. Please know that if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me and I will be happy to help. Good luck and hope to see you at a BBQ competition somewhere.
Reversed Seared Tri-Tip Steak
- Grill / Smoker
- 3-4 lbs. Tri-Tip Steak
- Kosher Salt
- 4 tbsp Kerry Gold Salted Butter
- Elite BBQ Smokers - SPG Seaoning
- Remove the Fat Cap
- Apply a liberal coat of Kosher Salt to Salt Brine
- Rest in refrigerator for 24 hours
- Remove from the refrigerator and season with Elite BBQ Smokers SPG
- Pre-heat the Recteq Pellet smoker to 250°
- Smoke in the pellet smoked to an internal temperature of 130°
- Remove from the smoked and use a Torch to sear the outside
- Slice and enjoy.
- Let us know how they turned out and Tag #EliteBBQSmokers in your social media post.