Have you ever come across a recipe that was mind blowing? Well, this recipe did that for us. Today we are going to be talking about a recipe for Steelhead Trout. If you have never cooked a Steelhead Trout, then I would strongly encourage you to give it a try. This is also something that can easily be paired with almost any vegetable or pasta dish. And best of all, it is healthy.
Did you know that Steelhead Trout and Rainbow Trout are the same fish/species? The difference is that Steelhead Trout are Rainbow trout that migrate to the ocean and then back to fresh water to spawn. In this regard they are a lot like Salmon.
I love trout fishing and eating trout. While I have never caught a steelhead trout, I have caught Rainbow trout and always loved the richness of the flavor in all recipes. So, when I found the Steelhead trout at our local Grocery store, I just knew that I had to give this one a try and we were blown away by it.
Our main goal in creating a YouTube Channel is to share new Techniques and Recipe to help everyone elevate their BBQ, Grilling and Outdoor cooking skills. So, a little back story on this recipe.
You see we cooked a Steelhead Trout several weeks back for a YouTube Video. And like I said earlier, the flavor was just amazing and beyond our expectations. We were so excited, and we wanted to edit that video and get it published as soon as possible. So, we went into the office and started editing the video and to our dismay, the audio was horrible. Man, we were upset. A few weeks later, we are in the grocery store and found that they had some more Steelhead Trout back in stock. So, we decided to redo the video. Because this recipe was just that good that we knew we had to make again. And here is the recipe with a video.
We hope that you watch these videos and that it helps you. Please know that if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me and I will be happy to help. Good luck and hope to see you at a BBQ competition somewhere.
Smoked Steelhead Trout
- Grill / Smoker
- Cedar Plank
- 6-8 lbs. Steelhead Trout Fillet
- Olive oil
- 6 tbsp. Butter
- Minced Onions
- Garlic Powder Brine
- Water Rubs
- Rufus Teague Fish Rub
- Place the butter in a grill safe pan and place in the smoker to allow the butter to melt.
- When the butter has melted add: Rosemary, Thyme, Minced Onions & Garlic Powder
- Return the butter to the smoker to allow it is blend together
- Rubs some Olive Oil over the Cedar Plank to prevent the Steelhead Trout skin from sticking to the Cedar Plank
- Apply some Olive Oil to the top of the Steelhead Trout to act a binder for the Rufus Teague Fish Rubs
- Apply a liberal coat of Rufus Teague- Fish Rub to the top of the Steelhead Trout
Cooking / Smoking
- Place the Steelhead Trout in the smoker and start checking it every 3-5 minutes
- Once the Rufus Teague Fish Rub has binded to the Steelhead Trout
- Start applying the butter mixture to the top of the Steelhead Trout, make sure you are not brushing off the Rufus Teague Fish Rub
- When you can leave the fork marks on the Trout, it is time to remove it from the Pellet Smoker.
- Allow it to rest until you can touch it comfortably.
- Serve and Enjoy
- Let us know how they turned out and Tag #EliteBBQSmokers in your social media post.