First, you may be asking what a Tri-Tip Steak is? Well, it gets its name from the shape. It is a triangular cut of beef that comes from the bottom sirloin of the hindquarter of a cow.
Everyone loves a good grilled steak, and a Tri-Tip steak allows you to please a lot of different flavor requests. Why, because of its shape, the tri-tip will have different levels of “Doneness” in the same piece of steak.
So, at your next party, make sure you add this to your menu, you will thank me for it.
Tri-tip is also normally a less expensive cut of beef but it is tender and has a nice rich beefy flavor. I have found that this is carried in most local grocery stores. If not, talk with your local butcher and they can easily get one.
Quick history of a Tri-Tip. This cut first became popular in California in the 1950’s. It is also known as “California’s Cut” or “Santa Maria Steak.” Therefore, it is not surprising that it has become a staple to many BBQs in California.
Here today, we are going to cook this on the Pellet Smoker at 300° and cook it until it is rare to Med-rare. We will then be slicing it into thin deli slices for sandwiches and Paninis.
The seasonings that we are using today are: Rufus Teague Steak Rub along with The Judge Garlic Pepper Rub. These seasoning will give the Tri-Tip steak a good balance of BBQ and Beef flavors.
Smoked Tri-Tip Steak
- 1ea – 3-4 lbs Tri-Tip
- Rufus Teague Steak Rub
- The Judge Garlic Pepper
- Remove the Tri-Tip Steak from the package and pat dry with a paper towel
- Remove any excess fat and silver skin
- Apply a Liberal amount of Rufus Teague Steak Rub to the meat and rub it in.
- Apply a liberal amount of The Judge Garlic Pepper to the meat and rub it in.
- Rest the Tri-Tip to set the rub. Around 10-15 minutes.
- Add Premium Blend Pellets or Pecan pellets. Set the Pellet Smokers Temp to 300.
- Place the Tri-Tip in the Pellet Smokers.
- After about 1-hour check the temp.
- When the Tri-Tip reaches 130, Remove from the Pellet Smokers.
- Loosely wrap in foil and cover with a towel and rest for 30-minutes.
- Slice and enjoy.
- Let us know how they turned out and Tag #EliteBBQSmokers in your social media post.