This recipe that we are sharing is a recipe that we used last year at Zom-B-Que in Galax, VA and we finished 3rd there with this recipe.
Turkey tastes a lot better it is brined and then paired a rub with a little bit of heat. That in conjunction with a sweet sauce just makes the Turkey flavor pop.
Turkey has an amazing texture, and it is one of those meats that everyone loves on sandwiches. And everyone has had a Turkey Roast that has been cooked in the oven, deep fried or smoked. And the one thing that everyone agrees on is that a Turkey needs to be moist. Because a dry Turkey just does not taste good. With that being said, anytime the number 1 goal is to maintain the moisture.
There are several ways that you can do this. You can wrap it with butter or another juice, you can spritz it during the cooking process, or you can remove it at a temperature before you start to dry it out. When we are cooking Turkey, we are looking for the breast to reach the internal temperature of 165°. This has proven to be the sweet spot.
Once the Turkey Breast reaches an internal temperature reached 165°, remove it and allow it to rest. After is rested for a few minutes, you can slice it up and enjoy.
• 1 ea. – Turkey Breast
• ¼ Cup – Oakridge Game Changer
• 32 Oz. – Chicken Broth
• Heavy Smoke – White Label
• Heath Riles – Cherry Rub
• Blue Hogs – Champion Blend
1. Remove the Skin from the Turkey
2. Place into a Gallon Zip-lock Bag
3. Add ¼ Cup – Oakridge Game Changer
4. Add 32 Oz. – Chicken Broth
5. Shake and mix the Brine thoroughly and rest in the refrigerator for 4-hours
6. After 4-hours, remove from the brine and nap dry with a paper towel
7. Apply the Heavy Smoke – White Label & Heath Riles – Cherry Rub
8. Allow the Turkey to rest in the refrigerator with the smoker is getting up to temperature
1. Pre-heat the pellet smoker to 300°
2. Place the Seasoned Turkey Breast on the Pellet Smoker
3. Rotate and continue to check the temperature of the breast
4. When the Turkey reaches an internal Temperature if 155-160°
5. Apply a thin coat of Blue Hogs – Champion Blend to the turkey breast.
6. Once the Turkey Breast reaches an internal temperature of 165°, remove and allow it to rest 7. Serve and enjoy
8. Let us know what your thoughts are.